You’ve all heard of facial fillers that are injected into the skin to help smooth out wrinkles and restore you to a younger appearance. But have you heard of the latest trend called a vampire facial? Many celebrities like Kim Kardashian West have popularized the vampire facial, boasting dramatic results. But what exactly is the vampire facial, and is it “the new filler?”
Platelet Rich (and Famous)
The vampire facial, sometimes referred to as the PRP (or platelet-rich plasma) facial is one of the latest trends in skin treatment. It uses your own blood to help promote healthy activity of your skin cells. How does it do that? By drawing a patient’s blood, processing it to extract the platelet-rich plasma (which contains growth factors that stimulate cell turnover), and re-injecting it into the face. The vampire facial works by allowing the platelets and growth factors of your own blood to heal and rejuvenate your skin. By injecting the patient’s own platelets back into their face, the body reacts as if there was an injury and will stimulate growth factors that help form new collagen. This newly formed collagen is what most people dream of having to make them look younger and more refreshed.
Is the vampire facial as complicated as it sounds?
It’s really not that complicated at all. The vampire facial involves four steps.
- Step 1- The doctor draws your blood.
- Step 2- Using a machine called a centrifuge, the doctor isolates the platelet-rich serum from your blood.
- Step 3- The doctor uses a micro-needling device to make a number of micro-punctures in your skin; allowing the platelet-rich blood to enter your skin.
- Step 4- The doctor paints the blood onto the micro-punctures so the platelets can soak into the tissue.
The result: Once the minimal scarring dissipates, it will leave your skin with a soft, natural glow, as well as tightening and rejuvenation of the collagen in your face.
What are the benefits of the vampire facial
- Quick and painless treatment. The vampire facial doesn’t take long to do – usually only 30 minutes to an hour. Depending on the desired outcome, some patients only require one treatment; others request more than one treatment. The micro-needling technique doesn’t tickle, but after all, beauty isn’t skin deep. Don’t worry, numbing agents are provided to ease any possible discomfort.
- Low risk. Because vampire facials use a patient’s own plasma rather than an artificial or harsh chemical ingredient, the risk of complications is minimal. The punctures made in the skin to do this procedure are very tiny and are monitored closely by the doctor.
- Lasting results. The great thing about a vampire facial is that the skin will continue to improve and actually rejuvenate after the procedure by forming new collagen and elastin in the months following the procedure. The lasting effects of the vampire facial are usually between 1-2 years.
- Treatment of many different skin conditions. The vampire facial isn’t just for wrinkles. It can be very effective for a variety of other conditions such as dark circles, fine lines, acne scars, sun damage, and uneven skin tone and texture.
Don’t let cutting edge, new treatments like the vampire facial scare you away. The helpful and friendly staff at Northwest Hair Restoration are here to answer any questions you may have about the latest in cosmetic treatments, including the vampire facial. To schedule an appointment to discuss treatment options that might be right for you, please call our office at (253) 572-2949.