Just like men, women can experience hair loss. Common causes include genetic loss (androgenetic alopecia), excessive pulling or tugging of hair in styling (Traction Alopecia), impulsive pulling (Trichotillomania), hormone imbalances, scarring of the scalp (Scarring Alopecia), medical conditions/medications, stress or trauma (Telogen Effluvium), extreme or sudden weight loss, and treatments like chemotherapy.
Most female hair loss can be attributed to their genetic make-up. For the women who suffer from hair loss, it is a very real thing that can have a traumatic impact psychologically.
Here’s the good news, there are many ways to repair and revive a woman’s hair and scalp health.
Treatments for Female Hair Loss
The right treatment plan for female hair loss will address the cause(s) of the problem, so it’s important to have a thorough assessment by a health care professional who specializes in this area. Optimal management of female hair loss typically requires the use of multiple modalities. Dr Niedbalski has developed the following comprehensive approach:
Protect both miniaturized and at risk hair follicles from further decline
- Minoxidil, commonly known as Rogaine, is a topical medication approved by the FDA to help combat hair loss. It can be found at your local drug store and purchased over the counter. Daily use of Minoxidil helps to stop hair shedding and in some cases can improve hair density.
- Laser therapy is an FDA cleared treatment that uses low-level laser light to improve cellular respiration and function by stimulating the hair follicle cells. Dr. Niedbalski prefers the Laser Cap because it’s a portable, hands free device without side effects and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Hair Supplements provide the micro-nutrients required to support the health of miniaturized (weak) hair follicles. Help Hair Vitamins and Protein shakes are Dr. Niedbalski’s preferred products.
Renew miniaturized hair follicles by reversing the miniaturization process
- Scalp Injection Therapies are the most powerful hair loss treatments. Dr. Niedbalski has been a leader in the clinical research and development of this technology for 10 years. Dr Niedbalski offers Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) scalp injections alone or in combination with an Extra-Cellular Matrix (ECM) such as ACell, AmnioFix and AmnioHeal (placental membrane tissue) and Amnio-Pure (amniotic fluid). These therapies work by stimulating stem cell activity within miniaturized hair follicles. Treatments time is usually less than an hour, with little to no post procedure down time.
Restore thin hair by redistributing healthy follicles to the problem areas
- Although genetic female hair loss often affects the entire scalp, about 30% or more of women are excellent candidates for hair restoration surgery. This outpatient surgical procedure redistributes healthy hair follicles from the back and sides of the scalp into the problem areas to improve hair density
Results from any of the treatments listed above can take up to 12 months.
Meet Dr. Niedbalski in Seattle, Tacoma, or Spokane
Don’t panic, shedding up to 150 hairs a day is normal. Some hairs fall out, while other hairs grow in. When that balance is interrupted and the shedding outweighs the rate of regrowth, it may be time to meet with a hair restoration specialist.
If you’re tired of losing hair, contact our medical team at Northwest Hair Restoration. We will perform a complete and thorough assessment of your hair loss problem and formulate a treatment plan designed to meet your hair restoration expectations.
Call us today at (253) 572-2949 or request a consultation now via our quick and easy online form.