Hair loss can be an unwelcome reality for both men and women, but it’s generally more acceptable when it happens to men. It therefore becomes especially concerning when it happens to women, who assume they must retain a full head of hair.
Up to 40% of people who experience hair loss are women. The impact can be disheartening when over-the-counter (OTC) hair-restoration products prove ineffective, and the inability to hide their thinning hair becomes a constant source of frustration and embarrassment.
Fortunately, there are many effective nonsurgical and minimally invasive treatment options for women’s hair loss depending on the cause and severity.
Women’s Hair Loss Treatment Options
In order for your hair doctor to formulate an effective treatment plan that will work for you, you will first need to have a full evaluation to establish the specific cause(s) of your hair loss. This will include a thorough scalp exam, and it may also include lab testing.
Once the cause, extent, and severity of female hair loss is determined, there are several effective treatments available. These include:
- Topical medications – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved minoxidil – which is sold under the brand name Rogaine and various generic brands – to treat hair loss. It is safe for both men and women to use, and people report a high satisfaction rate after using it. Minoxidil stimulates follicle growth and may also speed up the hair growth cycle. It can cause hair to thicken, and it can reduce the appearance of patchiness or a wide “part” in the hair.
- Photobiologic therapy (laser cap) – More commonly known as the LaserCap®, this noninvasive, home-based hair restoration method is FDA-cleared. This laser therapy technology is applied to the scalp, causing hair strands to grow in thicker – thereby extending the life cycle of the hair before it sheds. As a result, there is an overall reduction in the appearance of hair thinning, and there is an improvement in the quality of hair growth.
This low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is a scientifically proven, prescription-strength means of triggering hair regrowth in both men and women who are experiencing thinning and balding. Red laser light is absorbed by specialized cells deep within your hair follicles, providing energy to enhance cellular restoration and growth.
You can wear the LLLT device under your favorite baseball cap – no one will know it’s there but you. The follicles are, in effect, awakened from their inactive state and produce thicker, healthier hair in women.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) – Injections of platelet-rich plasma into your scalp may also help reduce hair loss, increase hair density, and increase the diameter of each hair. That’s because PRP is a rich source of specialized proteins, growth factors, and cytokines that together promote hair growth and healing. PRP therapy involves a doctor drawing a blood sample from your arm, processing the blood using a centrifuge to harness a concentration of platelets, and then injecting the PRP solution directly into the scalp where you want hair to grow back.
- Hormone therapy – Hormonal imbalances due to menopause or a thyroid problem can trigger hair loss in women. If that is the case, your doctor may recommend some form of hormone replacement therapy of either estrogen or progesterone. There are also medications designed to stop the production of androgens, which are hormones that can speed up hair loss.
- ACell + PRP therapy – Since women are not generally recommended to have hair transplant surgery, ACell + PRP therapy is an excellent nonsurgical alternative. This combination is designed to help thicken a woman’s hair, lessen visibility of the scalp, and stabilize the shedding process. ACell + PRP injections by a doctor stimulate dormant cells in hair follicles and achieve more robust hair growth.
Treatment for Women’s Hair Loss in Tacoma, Seattle, and Spokane
To evaluate and successfully treat hair loss in women, you need an experienced, board-certified hair restoration physician. Dr. Robert Niedbalski of Northwest Hair Restoration is not only a leading authority on hair restoration techniques, but he recognizes how important it is to listen to and understand the special needs of his patients. He knows the differences between how men’s bodies and women’s bodies respond to the various treatments.
If you’re a woman experiencing hair loss – or know someone who is – contact our team today by calling us at (253) 572-2949 or complete our online Request an Appointment form to arrange a private consultation with Dr. Niedbalski. We look forward to partnering with you for a full head of beautiful locks!