As we get older, telltale signs of aging start to appear on our skin, particularly where it is most noticeable – the face. Meanwhile, other factors such as poor diet, high stress, dry climate, excessive sun exposure, and smoking can all have a similarly negative impact on your appearance.
However, there is an effective cosmetic solution: retinol. This treatment can renew your skin and diminish the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration at any age.
Available as a serum or cream, retinol is a variant of vitamin A that is formulated to remove dead skin cells more rapidly. It thereby helps to reduce the appearance of skin flaws and makes your complexion look radiant and more youthful.
5 Ways Retinol Improves Your Appearance
Retinol is clinically proven to improve the appearance of your skin in several ways:
- It stimulates cell turnover, which promotes younger-looking skin. By removing rough, dead patches of skin cells, you enable new, healthier cells to come through. As a result, your complexion looks smoother and your skin can more effectively absorb beneficial skincare treatments, such as moisturizers and serums.
- It reduces fine lines and wrinkles by fostering the body’s increased production of collagen, which is the protein responsible for skin elasticity and hydration.
- It stimulates the production of new blood vessels in the skin, which improves skin color.
- It addresses acne. Dead skin cells can clog your pores, contributing to acne. By exfoliating your skin and getting rid of dead skin cells, retinol helps to prevent acne breakouts.
- It helps fade age spots. Retinol works to lighten brown spots caused by sun exposure and the natural aging process.
Note: It may take three to six months of using retinol before improvements in wrinkles are apparent—with the best results taking up to 12 months – but used as directed, retinol will make your skin look smoother and younger than before.
Adjusting Your Skincare Routine While Using Retinol
Because retinol can cause skin dryness and irritation, it is often recommended that you use a low concentration at first, and apply it only every other day, then gradually increase its use to nightly applications. Some of the things to keep in mind while using retinol (or before using it) for your complexion include the following:
- If your skin feels dry, you’ll want to follow up with a rehydrating moisturizer as necessary. Your doctor will explain the best approach for your type of skin.
- Since retinol increases your skin’s sensitivity to sunlight, it is advisable to wear an SPF sunscreen during the day. Otherwise, you could easily get a sunburn.
- Minor side effects – such as skin redness, dryness, itching, scaling, mild burning, or worsening of acne – may occur during the first 2-4 weeks of using retinol. However, these effects usually decrease with continued use.
- If you are expecting or think you might be pregnant, check with your doctor before using retinol.
- Speak with your doctor before doing any facial waxing while using retinol, as your skin may be more sensitive.
Revolutionary Skincare Products in Seattle, Spokane, and Tacoma, WA
Here at Northwest Hair Restoration, we offer Retinol Complex 0.25, 0.5, and 1.0 as part of the SkinMedica® line of medical-grade skincare products. In addition, we offer effective skincare injections such as BOTOX, Juvéderm, Kybella, and Latisse. You can shop for your cosmetic skincare products at our online store and have them delivered right to your door.
As a member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Dr. Robert Niedbalski is an authority on skincare solutions and will be happy to personally discuss your options with you to help you decide on the most suitable course of treatment.
For a complimentary, private consultation, contact Northwest Hair Restoration today at (253) 572-2949 or use our online Request an Appointment form to arrange your visit. We look forward to helping you glow!