More than 80 million Americans are affected by hair loss. In fact, two-thirds of men will start losing hair by the time they are 35, and 40 percent of women are also affected by this often-disheartening condition.
Dealing with thinning hair can be a source of frustration, embarrassment, and a blow to self-esteem and confidence for men and women alike. Fortunately, there are now numerous surgical and nonsurgical hair loss treatment options designed to replace and restore hair.
Let’s explore these solutions.
The Path to Hair Restoration
Finding the right solution for your individual needs is the key to any successful hair replacement treatment plan. Among the nonsurgical options are:
- Medical therapy in the form of medications such as Rogaine®or Propecia®
- Nutritional supplementation that includes vitamins and minerals,such as vitamins A, B, C, and D, biotin, iron, keratin, and zinc
- Photobiologic laser hair therapy – a flexible cap that, when applied to the scalp,provides energy to enhance cellular restoration and hair growth
Each of these nonsurgical options stimulates your hair to grow in thicker and for an extended period of time. They also protect your hair follicles from the risk of further or future decline.
A nonsurgical means of renewing miniaturized hair follicles is scalp injection therapy in the form of PRP (platelet-rich plasma) therapy.PRP is a concentration of platelets and plasma derived from your own blood that contains specialized proteins called growth factors and cytokines that promote both hair growth and healing. PRP is a simple in-office procedure administered in a series of injections in the targeted areas of your scalp.
Hair transplant is an effective way to replace hair surgically. It involves removing hair follicles from a donor area (usually the scalp) and redistributing those follicles into the balding or thinning area of the scalp to restore a receding hairline and increase overall hair density.
There are two different methods of harvesting hair follicles for a transplant:
- Follicular Unit Excision(FUE) – This process involves extracting individual follicular units directly from your scalpand transplanting them one-by-one to sparse areas on your scalp.
- Follicular Unit Transplants(FUT or Strip Harvesting)–Thismethod involves the removal of a healthy strip of hair-bearing skin – usually from the back of your head – which is then divided into small grafts of separate follicular units made up of one to four hairs.
In both procedures, the hair grafts are carefully and precisely implanted into the balding areas of the scalp to create a natural look. Thanks to modern techniques, hair transplant surgery specialists can transplant a large number of hair follicles in a single surgical session, which greatly reduces the number of procedures needed to achieve the desired result. Typically, only one session is enough to treat a specific area of hair loss.
Hair Replacement Near You in Seattle, Spokane, and Tacoma, Washington
At Northwest Hair Restoration, Dr. Robert Niedbalski and his team are proud to offer a comprehensive range of surgical and nonsurgical hair replacement options. Depending on the cause and extent of your hair loss, Dr. Niedbalski can provide the most effective treatment plan specifically tailored to your situation.
If you are tired of helplessly watching your hair loss worsen, contact Northwest Hair Restoration to arrange a consultation with Dr. Niedbalski to discuss your hair restoration options. We have convenient locations in Tacoma, Seattle, and Spokane, Washington, to serve you. Call us today at (253) 572-2949 or, if you prefer, use our secure online appointment request form.