What are Eyebrow Transplants?
Your eyebrows may be your most important facial feature. Not only are they crucial for communication and facial expression, but your eyebrows serve the very practical functions of keeping debris, dirt, and sweat out of your eyes. They also frame the eye and enhance the face. Modifying the eyebrow in order to achieve a desired shape, length, or density is quite common. Many turn to cosmetic solutions like plucking, waxing, threading, makeup, and tattooing to create their desired brow. However, these fixes are often expensive, time consuming, temporary, and can even be part of the problem. Consider an eyebrow transplant as the most effective and permanent solution for eyebrow repair.
Eyebrow hair loss can be attributed to one or several factors. The most common of these components for hair loss are:
- Naturally thin due to a genetic predisposition or congenital inability to grow eyebrows with the desired qualities
- Trichotillomania (TTM), or self-inflicted obsessive compulsive plucking
- Physical Trauma from thermal, chemical or electrical burns
- Medical or surgical therapies, such as:
- Metabolic conditions, including:
- Thyroid imbalance
Eyebrow transplants are a surgical outpatient procedure. This procedure is performed under a local anesthetic in our offices in approximately three to four hours. If the desired modification is extensive, patients may return for a second procedure.
Precision is key to a successful eyebrow modification. Our team at Northwest Hair Restoration takes great pride in the meticulous placement of each individual follicular graft. We make sure that every single hair has the correct angle and direction, resulting in the eyebrow shape and thickness you desire.
We offer different transplant techniques depending on the patient’s needs. We will use scalp grafts for most patients, although BHT (body hair transplant) grafts are an option for patients whose scalps don’t provide suitable donor follicles. In most cases, we will use FUT grafts.
What to expect from your procedure:
- Many patients bring in photos of desired results for ideas.
- The design is unique to you. The eyebrows’ position, symmetry, and fullness are all tailored to your face and your preferred aesthetic.
- Eyebrow loss is a problem for both men and women. Fortunately, Dr. Niedbalski is familiar with all types of eyebrow restoration. Northwest Hair Restoration will make sure you’re thrilled with your eyebrows, whether they’re brand new or new again.
- Niedbalski collaborates with the patient to outline the desired eyebrow shape with a surgical marker. The patient is able to view the outline for modification, approval, and feedback before surgery begins.
- Local anesthetic is applied to numb the affected areas.
- Donor site hair follicles are removed.
- Donor follicles are carefully grafted to the outlined area.
- The eyebrow restoration procedure is performed with local anesthetic for maximum comfort and safety.
- You can drive yourself home and return to normal activities within a day or two.
- Some amount of bruising is normal and will last around a week.
Before and After Gallery
Am I a candidate?
Most patients are good candidates for eyebrow restoration surgery. and, as with most elective surgical procedures, should be in reasonably good health to minimize potential complications. Patients who have lost their eyebrow hairs due to genetics, over-plucking, or trauma are the best candidates. Those with medical conditions such as alopecia areata, frontal fibrosing alopecia, or certain metabolic conditions that result in the loss of eyebrow hair may need further medical consultation to ensure the possibility of hair regrowth following the transplant procedure.
What is the recovery period?
Recovery time for this procedure is roughly a week. Small crusts appear around each hair during the first week following the procedure. They should be gently rinsed while showering and will leave small pink spots as the crusts slough off a week to 10 days later. The pink skin surrounding the grafts typically fades over a few weeks and leaves the area looking natural with no scarring.
How soon can I exercise? Work?
Patients usually experience little or no discomfort following the procedure and many return to work and their daily activities the following day. Strenuous exercise should be avoided for a few days to minimize swelling.
Interested in replacing the hairs on your eyebrows?
Northwest Hair Restoration offers Eyebrow Transplants in Tacoma, WA
We also offer consultations at our Seattle, WA and Spokane, WA offices. Call (253) 572-2949 today!